Need sound sleep

Need sound sleep (The Tribune)
by Ravia Gupta

SOUND sleep sounds great, but remember when you had it last time? Well, at least I don’t remember having enjoyed it in the past many years. May be the last time I did, I was in my mother’s lap, extremely protected and cushioned, no baggage of the day’s aftermath, without any plans for the next day, without any guilt, without any nightmares. Wondering if there is a way to get it back.

How ever hard I try to get some ‘sound sleep’, each time, I fail miserably, and now I have quite given up on the idea. Even to get ordinary sleep, without any pills or liquor shots, is a blessing these days.

Recently, after a long day’s work when I was trying hard to get some sleep, for once without solving my life’s puzzle with my “eyes closed”, I got a call from one of my friends, who recently got married and was struggling with her roles of being a 21st century career-oriented girl and oh-so 20th century home-maker.

At that odd hour, well past midnight, she wanted to know what husbands wanted from their wives these days. Why always girls had to adjust and change like they had no identity? Worse, what was easier, making a marriage work or breaking it up for a lone journey?

Being a good friend, I obviously nodded to all that she said and suggested to her to give some more time to her one-year-old marriage. But after she hung up without being much convinced, I started to think how everything had changed in India except for the plight of women.

Earlier, our moms made compromises with career and home and now even after ages we are also expected to do the same! We have only added to our woes. Despite adding more roles, we still have to don some more.

Finding no solution, just when I turned to see the sun rise I remembered to catch up with some sleep, I decided to close my eyes and the moment I did that my mind again started groping in the dark. I thought what I can do when networking, travel and late nights are needed to prove your worth at work and these things are just not acceptable at home.

Now, when we have left our home for career and in some cases let go of career for home, what more addition can be done to our roles? I guess instead of multiplying our roles it’s high time we did some division now. After all, I guess, this will help us to get some “sound sleep”. The only concern is if our male counterparts will support this division.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A “Wake-up” call

Women, work and vows

Munch and Move …