A spiritual call

Follow raviagupta on Twitter

The “call” to adventure can come in any form from anywhere. It can be in the form of a dream, a message, a letter or a sudden phone call and there you go, all set with your backpack to search for unknown lands. Some trips take years of planning, some just happen and then there are a few which come as a nice surprise to you. Now, this one was a nice surprise family trip to the holy places of Vrindavan and Mathura.
A spiritual call in the late 20s may sound a bit too early, but, as they say every true spiritual journey is a quest and we set out to discover something. I too thought of discovering something different this time around. It wasn’t just fun, food or friends, but this trip was all about the ultimate purpose of my life. Certainly, big and uncomfortable questions that led me embark on a spiritual journey. Fascinated by the hot and cool image of the on-screen gods these days, I, too, wanted to connect with the God of cool things in my own way. A true devotee, a real fan of God, I was all set to experience the ultimate balance of the ‘Shakti’ in various forms. While walking watchfully through the tight streets of our holy lands, where even God would think twice to appear, I started planning about how to actually respond to the call? The first thing that came to my mind was what life is all about. Looking around the way people were managing their life despite odds, with bare minimum basic needs of food, clothing and shelter, I thought life was all about associating with the socially oppressed and economically weak. Lost in the crowd, waiting for my turn, crying for God’s attention, seeking his blessing, I thought it’s better to treat other devotees with respect and offer them a silent space to reflect. Looking at those taking tourists and foreigners for a ride, I thought of taking a few moments each day to notice where and how we are. Looking at people wanting, striving and struggling through life, I thought of scripting a gratitude journal as every day is a journey and we all are spiritual beings! I learnt that it’s much easier to coast through life on the surface level. But if we choose to ignore that there is much more to life than the daily rush, and the hoarding of possessions, what happens when we are face to face with suffering? When we get ill, or someone we love leaves or dies, or when we near the end of our life? It’s high time we look out for alignment and move a step closer to the greater God who believes in self-sufficiency, no-greed and no attachment.

Source: http://www.tribuneindia.com/2013/20130527/edit.htm#5

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A “Wake-up” call

Munch and Move …

Women, work and vows